Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It's annual review time here at CG. My self-evaluation was due back in April, if I remember correctly, and I was in a piss-poor mood, and not feeling very accomplished over the past year. In fact, I've felt pretty stagnated, and not even sure where I want to go in my career. I've got some goals, but more often than not, I'm not too excited about them.

I need something new in my life. Some new challenge, new project, new activity. I don't know what. I'm doing so much already, something would have to go or get cut back on, but I don't know what that would be, either. I'm bored!

Annual review went suprisingly well. I don't know how they can be satisfied with my performance if I'm not satisfied with my own. It's disconcerting, though it could be worse, I suppose. I suspect it has partly to do with how hurting they are for experienced mid-level personnel. So they made it harder to me to leave by giving me a 7.5% raise and a promotion: I'm now Manager. Wow, I sound cynical. Needless to say, I'm not too particularly excited about this at this time, especially since I don't really see how it means too much of a difference in job duties or responsibilities.

Maybe I'll feel a little less lethargic after this class is finished. Two more weeks! One funny story about that: I had a student show up Monday and asked me for a syllabus, he hadn't been to the class yet! I didn't realize until class was over that he hadn't, otherwise I would have asked him what happened, whether he thought class started in July or what. But there was absolutely no way he could have passed the class at that point with only three weeks left in the term, so I advised him to drop the class.

1 Antiphon:

10:07 AM, July 14, 2007, Blogger CosmicAvatar

7.5%! Flippin' eck! Congratulations. I understand the lack of enthusiasm, though. I hope it does more for you that you expect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home