Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Never again am I renting to someone who's leaving the country immediately after the lease period. Either that, or I'm treating them like everyone else when it comes to the rent deposit. Closing your checking account and getting your money converted is your problem, not mine. No more concessions. I tried to be nice. I did a pre-inspection before I left last weekend, gave her a list of what still needed to be cleaned, and gave her most of her deposit back, with the understanding she would take care of it. Did she take care of it? No, of course not. I understand that my definition of clean is probably different than a lot of people's understanding, but when I spell out and physically show her what needs to be cleaned, and what products will probably do the job, I expect at least 75% of my expectations. Needless to say, I gave back too much of the deposit. At least I have a week of tenant-free living to get things done, plus enjoying having my house to myself. Here's to no more elephant-feet, and hoping the next one is better!

3 Antiphon:

9:48 AM, July 27, 2007, Blogger Mindi Scott

Grrrr! That sucks. That was really nice of you since most landlords wouldn't do you any favors like that. Too bad she took advantage!

When we moved from our last apartment, we had to clean like mad to get our deposit back. When we got to our new house, we learned that the previous owners DID NOT CLEAN ANYTHING. So, we got to clean even more. I decided that when/if I ever bought another house there would be an agreement or something that they would need to clean it up nicely for us.

 
11:29 AM, July 28, 2007, Blogger Technomage

Before we left our place. Our landlord had a professional cleaner come to our place. After we cleaned, she came by. We got our Deposit back minus the cost of whatever the professional cleaner had to do. That was in the lease. After cleaning for 3 days we finally left the rest to the Cleaner. We learned a lot about cleaning and what products to use. The cleaner was so happy with our job she hardly did anything and we got our deposit back!

Technomage

 
4:09 AM, July 29, 2007, Blogger Dogeared

Grrrr! Stooopid ex-tennant. I hope any future ones are better! I'd have left it clean for you [nod].

 

Post a Comment

<< Home