Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My brother is going to go take a look at a bike for me tonight. I'm giddy. It's exactly what I'm looking for (except I really like the orange paint, but it's not like that's a deal breaker), and close to my price range. I can link to it, since I found it on Craig's List: Pretty. I'm sending my brother to look at it because one, he's a lot closer, and two, having two guys show up on bikes (he's taking his buddy Aaron with him) gives a lot more credibility and bargaining power than a giddy girl. I've had plenty enough condescension for being a girl in a man's world this month, thank you very much. I went to Scheel's to find me some new work boots since mine fell apart last winter. The sales guy was giving me almost enough shit that I was going to walk out of there. Suggesting I look in the women's hunting boots, and asking if I really wanted a steel toe. He finally asked me what project I was working on, and when I told him I was replacing a worn-out pair, he finally realized I was serious.

At any rate, I'm not an expert on bikes in any means, though I mean to learn mine. I know Lew will get me a good price on a good bike, even if it's not this one. And I'm okay with conceding the negotiations in this case. Kinda like I was happy to let Dad find my truck for me. It's something that he likes to do anyway, and something that he could do for me that I feel comfortable in accepting. I hate having my parents pay for stuff for me - I tried to give Mom a check for my share of the Chris Isaak trip, and she mailed it back to me, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!". I still don't know if I'm okay with that, I may just try and give it back some other way.

In the meantime, Josh and Chelsea and I are all taking the motorcycle training course at Kirkwood this weekend. They bought Randal's bike off him before he left, so they're getting all learned up, too.

Giddy!

Update: Lew says the bike is practically brand new, so he made an offer on it. The seller is going to talk it over with his wife, and call Lew back later tonight. He hasn't had many people look at it in the month it's been up for sale, so I'm cautiously hopeful.

Update 2: It's mine! Squeee!

5 Antiphon:

8:29 PM, August 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow, that is so exciting!

 
9:10 PM, August 22, 2007, Blogger Ems

Yay, how exciting! I guess that August 22nd is a good day!

 
10:22 PM, August 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm so excited for you! My 2007 resolution was to ride on a motorcyle, because I'm 33 and have never even been on one. You should get some practice in with a passenger so I can come up and hitch a ride before the end of the year. :)

 
3:15 PM, August 24, 2007, Blogger Mindi Scott

Oh, yay! Congrats!

 
1:16 PM, August 25, 2007, Blogger Dogeared

Oh yay, exciting stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home