Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Our first TKD class of 4-year-olds has dwindled significantly. Partly, I think, due to to my yelling at a couple kids a few weeks ago. I was admonished by a parent for yelling: "They're four years old. Give them a break." I'm sorry, but part of Tae Kwon Do is discipline. I'd already told them several times not to touch the hanging bag, and maybe my tone was harsher than necessary, but sometimes you have to raise your voice to get their attention. If you don't think they're ready for the discipline required for a martial art, wait until they're older to enroll them. I really wish the Nest would use some discretion when enrolling kids in classes; four-year-olds are probably ready for tumbling, but not our classes. I think they just see dollar signs and sign up anyone and everyone who wants to join, regardless of maturity.

Anyway, the kids that are left are still a little young, but for the most part manageable. Like all kids, they have shorter attention spans and jitters and sometimes just cannot sit still. It takes a little while, but by this time in the semester we've pretty much figured out when they just need to move and can let it slide versus when they're just goofing off and need to start paying attention. Last night, it was one of those times when one child in particular was goofing off, jumping around and trying to take off, and Chelsea barked, "I called you to attention! Stop flapping!" I'm still giggling. "Stop flapping!"

6 Antiphon:

12:53 PM, October 19, 2007, Blogger Chelsea

It was the most apt description of what he was doing.

 
1:39 PM, October 19, 2007, Blogger Ems

OMG, so funny. I am SO going to use that from now on.

 
2:38 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Hee!

 
7:46 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger Meghan

I can't believe parents would get upset at you for trying to keep their kids in line in a TKD class. Fercrissakes!

 
1:50 AM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Ems

You know what I wish? I wish your little club there would have a different name. That's what I wish. You know my eye goes straight to the word...

 
11:23 PM, November 02, 2007, Blogger jenn

Uh yeah. I think the whole point of martial arts is learning some control. Some people should just let their children become garden apes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home