Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, November 12, 2007

I remembered today was the 12th, so I'm doing Chad Darnell's 12 of 12 this month. You are getting your money's worth today, I'm telling you.



I'm obsessively checking my teeth. I found a hole in one of my molars yesterday, and I'm completely torn about what to do about it. I admit, I haven't seen a dentist in over two years, just because I've been too lazy to find one and I've always had good teeth. I had just resolved to sign up for dental insurance and get it over with when I discovered this, and my insurance doesn't go into effect until January! Then, when I'm looking in the mirror this morning, there is ANOTHER hole in the opposite tooth, completely mirroring the hole in the first tooth! WTF!



Weather on the 8's has been a daily obsession for the last two months. If it's warmer than 35, I ride the bike to work. Looks like a biking day!



These are the horse pills I've been taking to see if they do anything to combat my heat intolerance. They smell bad and they make my mouth dry, but I haven't gotten sick yet (spoiler!). I'm on the high-deductible/HSA plan, and when the phamacist told me how much a month's worth cost, I almost hoped they wouldn't work, so I didn't have to pay that every month. No wonder there's a health care crisis. They want an arm and a leg for allergy medication and charge me to take them off.



I had actually given up on riding any more this season, as last week was in the twenties and thirties, so I had removed the inner liner of my helmet for washing. This is me getting completely frustrated trying to figure out how to snap it back in. You'd think it wouldn't be that difficult, but noooo....



This is where I park when I ride. This town is scooter-crazy, so if it's warm, this area will fill up pretty quickly. That's my baby in the foreground!



At work: breakfast. Bob Harper told me that Quaker's Weight Control oatmeal was good for you. It has the higher-protein-fewer-carbs thing I was going for in breakfast, so I tried it. It does keep me fuller longer, but it's way too sweet, so I have to cut each package with regular oatmeal to tone it down.



Directly from breakfast to lunch. I'd been craving Chinese and I had been too lazy to go to the grocery store yesterday for something to cook, so I went to China Star. You can't beat all that food for seven bucks. I ate the eggrolls (spoiler!) and a little bit of the Mongolian Beef (I love all those onions!), so there will be enough left over for tomorrow.



A quick trip down the block to the library to return the book I just finished, The Nine, by Jeffrey Toobin. There are still quite a few holds on it, and I like to be courteous and get the ones people are waiting for back as soon as possible. It was a pretty good book, though it covered most of the Supreme Court history that I knew already. Too recent. I think I enjoyed Blackmun's biography more.



I took this picture after practice, but it fits the narrative better to put it before, so ignore the timestamp and think 6:10. Time for Tae Kwon Do. Mondays are sparring days, so I have to bring all my gear with me. I balanced this thing on the back of my bike, it was quite the feat.



This is the Fieldhouse, the University of Iowa's rec center and where I work out with the university club. If you've ever watched Coach, you've seen this building before since this is where they filmed the exteriors.



This doubles as my "Grateful" pic, because this was taken right after I blew chunks. Ken suggested I take a picture of said chunks, so be grateful I didn't (hee! I crack me up). You'd think cabbage wouldn't be that bad coming back up. You get a picture of Deb watching the sparring matches instead. So far, my head isn't splitting, so if the allergy meds aren't helping the nausea, they're at least relieving me of some pain. Although I'm thinking my regular over-the-counter stuff could do the same thing if I took them as often as I'm taking the Allegra-D, and save me some money.



And last of all, this is where I'll be spending the rest of the evening watching Heroes and knitting. This is my little (Em close your eyes) nest, where I keep all my supplies in baskets under the table, as well as various snacky foods (can you find the Nilla Wafers?). I'm already well on my way re-knitting the project I frogged yesterday.


And that was my day today, hope you enjoyed it, or at least didn't puke!

8 Antiphon:

9:38 PM, November 12, 2007, Blogger P@

High of 59??!!?? That's our low! Up until yesterday, our highs had been in the 70s and 80s. Still. It's crazy.

I'm almost afraid to ask how much the pills cost. Health care in this country is a nightmare.

And I am extremely grateful that you didn't photograph the regurgitated cabbage. The mental imagery is bad enough, thanks. ;)

 
10:01 PM, November 12, 2007, Blogger Meghan

I, too, am SO glad you didn't share the chunks. That would not have been good for me. Not at all.

Also, I'm jealous you get to watch Heroes in Real Time.

 
11:18 AM, November 13, 2007, Blogger Chelsea

Glad I missed the blowing of chunks.

 
11:36 AM, November 13, 2007, Blogger Ems

LOL,59... I miss that...

What do you mean you found a hole? Like a (*gasp*) CAVITY?!?!?! That's UNHEARD of, not even Lew, who didnt brush his teeth for months (do you remember that?) didnt get a cavity!!!

I dont know what I am going to do when we get out of the AF, cuz my shots are $1200 a month alone, plus all the other pills I have... And what sucks is there is not generic vewrsion of the injections... I hate prescriptions.

 
5:17 AM, November 14, 2007, Blogger Dogeared

Sorry you were so sick (and thanks for not sharing lol!)

Mm, now I want Chinese, and it's only 11:15am!

 
11:52 AM, November 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous

That tooth thing seems scary !!!!
I hope it'll get better !! and I also hope your heat intolerance will improve (to tolerance, not more intolerant that would be bad!!!)

I love biking, glad you could go to work with your bike ^_^


Great 12 of 12...

 
12:56 PM, November 18, 2007, Blogger Scooter

Fun pix...thanks for sharing!!!

 
7:47 AM, November 20, 2007, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Awww, dude, blowing chunks? How rotten.

And eeeek for cavities. I hope you can hold on for a bit. *gulp*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home