Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, November 09, 2007

It seems like everyone I know is having a baby. Or has a baby. I want a baby. I want to be a mom. I want to try my hand at helping a little person learn how to navigate life.

I'm reading the TWOP forums on All My Children, and the posters there are lambasting the show for trying to make people think Greenlee is a sympathetic character, but I'm right there with her. Yes, it was a bad idea to try and run off with Kendall's baby, but the rest of it...I understand. I understand wanting to give up everything else you've ever worked for for the chance to be a mother.

So as I'm standing at the hand dryer in the bathroom of the Gym-Nest last night, comtemplating artificial insemination, I realize that I can't do single motherhood. I can't let someone else raise my kid. As much as I want it, I need to do it right, or I don't want to do it at all. Doesn't stop the biological clock from ticking, though.

2 Antiphon:

10:38 PM, November 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous

This may sound strange since I have a kid, but I totally relate. I've known I wanted a family forever, and it took a while for Will to catch up to me (he wanted kids, but not right away). There are unpublished blog posts out there somewhere lamenting my lack of a child, and even now that we have Sam I sometimes wonder who we might have if we hadn't waited.

I think it is really brave and awesome of you to wait. To be so aware of what you really want and what your limitations are. I really admire that.

 
7:45 AM, November 20, 2007, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Actually, I think Annika's last paragraph summed up pretty much what I was thinking. It can't be easy at all, feeling like that.

[hug]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home