Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, December 03, 2007

It feels a lot more like Christmas with the decorations up. I had to let the tree drip on the floor for a while yesterday, to let all the ice melt off, but that worked out all right. I decorated outside while the tree dripped inside. The whole time I was thinking I should have just said to hell with cleaning the house and decorated last weekend. Especially as I was trying to balance the step ladder on ice-encrusted snow.

My favorite tradition, I think, is putting decorations on the tree. Every ornament I pull out of the box and hang on the tree is a memory. "Grandma and I picked out the same ornament when we were at Farm 'n Fleet that year" or "Emily and I have matching ones of these" (there are a lot of those) or "This one I got from a band fundraiser". Then I get to sit back and smell the pine for the rest of the month.



Mmmm. Christmas.

4 Antiphon:

11:49 PM, December 03, 2007, Blogger Ems

"Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." I miss real Christmas tress.

 
9:39 AM, December 04, 2007, Blogger Chelsea

I have never had a real Christmas tree. We had the same fake tree for years, but I am not sure what happened to it. It's probably getting moldy in the basement. I bought all the Christmas ornaments I own last year from Target. Josh's ornaments were all given to him by his parents. It honestly kinda makes me sad to think about cutting down a tree so I can throw it out when I am done with it.

 
3:02 PM, December 04, 2007, Blogger Ems

But the joy and family tradition and the love that that tree represents... Going as a family to find the perfect tree, sining songs, decorating the tree and the house...together. Its more than some tree you throw out. I cant wait till we can go with our kids to pick out the perfect tree, and decorate it and each year, buy them an ornament to hang on that tree that, when they are all grown up, they can take those with them, wherevere they go, and hang them on their own tree. So they can bring that magic with them.

 
10:28 AM, December 05, 2007, Blogger Chelsea

Since it wasn't a family tradition for us, a real tree has very little sentimental value for me. Now that I think about it, my mom always bought those tubes of M&M's with the ornaments on top.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home