Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

I don't usually do two posts in one day, but if I don't post now, I'll forget.

I finally decided at about 5:45 who I was going to vote for. I was up in the air between Barak Obama and Ron Paul, and since they're in different parties, I had to decide which location to go to. My deciding factors were that I was already registered as a Democrat, and I'd never been to a Democratic caucus before. I went to a Republican one in 1996 when I was 17, because it was all new and exciting (no Democratic caucus that year, since Clinton ran unopposed, so really no decision there).

One thing about Republicans, is that they sure do caucus more efficiently. If the guy had just had a megaphone or something, it would have helped immensely. But we started out with everyone checking in, registering for the party if necessary, and getting a numbered card. Then there were some statements read: give us money, there's statements by various local Democrats running for office in the back, yadda yadda yadda. We took about 10 minutes to decide that 44 people was the 15% threshold for viability. Then each campaign had two minutes for a statement. Then things got really loud and incomprehensible.

All voters went to the area of the room designated for their first choice candidate. There was a preliminary count (since we were the biggest group in the room, we filed in and out of the room to get a more accurate count. Probably not very legal, but the high school cafeteria was so HOT, we had to open the doors). Then the preliminary count was announced (Obama 115, Edwards, 49, Clinton 47, Biden 30, and the rest were in the teens and single digits), and people got a chance to go around and try and convince others to join their groups. This went on for about half an hour to forty-five minutes, and every once in a while, there would be cheers and clapping as people joined other groups. Finally, a final total was tallied to the three viable candidates: Obama 144, Edwards 53, and Clinton 51. So Obama got two delegates from my precinct and the other two got one. Which pretty much reflects what happened in the rest of the state: Caucus Results.

Then there were some elections for committees and delegates and we were done. This all lasted from 6:30 to 8:45. HOT. Frankly, I'm just glad the phone calls will stop. I've done my civic duty, now leave me alone. In all seriousness, though, I'm honored to be part of the first in the nation, and I hope we did our best for the rest of the country.

6 Antiphon:

10:08 PM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Mindi Scott

This is so exciting! I'm looking forward to this election year which is... weird for me.

I'm glad you posted about the caucus stuff. I'm unfamiliar with that whole process.

 
10:14 PM, January 03, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

I find this all very exciting! I had no idea how the caucus worked until now. I considered moving to Iowa so I could be part of it in four years, but then I remembered that it's ridiculously cold in Iowa. (The wind chill is 23F here right now, and I'm freezing my ass off. Weather.com says the wind chill where you are is 13F. Geez Louise!)

 
11:34 PM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Annika

Whoa. Caucuses are exciting! In Primaries we just... vote.

 
12:48 PM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Dogeared

Being a Brit, my only exposure to American politics and caucuses has really been The West Wing - I'd love to see one up close, and get photos! (I've seen some of the Reuters photos, including two stunning silhouettes of Obama and Clinton. They were part of the daily slideshows on our intranet page, but let me see if they're on Reuters' photo site...)

 
2:59 PM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Technomage

We voted to skip the two minute presentations and just start voting.

(Afterwards someone put 10 baseball bats in the center of the gym and we clubbed our opponents into submission!)

You just gotta love Iowa City Politics.

 
10:50 AM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Dogeared

Found the Obama one - it's the last photo (42 of 42) in this slideshow - http://uk.reuters.com/news/pictures/
slideshow?collectionId=1258&gallery
Name=All%20Collections#a=42

(you'll have to repiece together the URL, I had to split it)

Here's the Clinton one -

http://uk.reuters.com/news/pictures/
slideshow?collectionId=1197&gallery
Name=All%20Collections#a=41

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home