Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, February 08, 2008

There's a psychological component to the inability of people to lose weight. I haven't ever really tried, because if I don't truly try, I still think I can. Does that make sense? I haven't failed, because I haven't tried.

There's been a confluence of events that have made me ready to try. One, I went to a ribbon cutting for a new franchise in Iowa City, a distribution center for Seattle Sutton Healthy Eating. They do fresh meal preparation in healthy and calorie-controlled servings, and meal-preparation is a huge challenge for me at this time of year. Calorie-control has always been an issue for me, and because I haven't really tried to count calories, I have used that as an excuse for not losing weight, even though I exercise regularly. I can justify the expense (which is less than on the website because of the distribution center) because of the value of my free time during tax season.

Two, I want to test for my first degree black belt in May now that I have my heat issues under control. (Post about that upcoming.) So I'm motivated to make it to every class between now and then, and less tempted to skip, like I usually do when I'm working 10-12 hours a day.

And three and least important (because you have to lose weight because you want to, and not because someone else wants you to), work is holding it's own Biggest Loser Challenge for tax season, with cash prizes for the top three losers. You report your weight loss percentage every week, like they do on the show (but you weigh in at home and report on the honor system). They'll provide some free snacks and meals and fitness and recipe ideas along the way, so it's kind of a fun little program.

I would like to lose about 15 pounds, which would put me at about 8.5% of total lost body weight percentage, and which is completely reasonable for a 3 month period, since the challenge ends on April 15th. Except that it's that "last 10 pounds" which is so notoriously difficult.

I'm ready to try, and I'm scared to death. If I fail, I know I'll have tried my hardest and still failed, and the hope I've been holding onto by not trying is dashed. But if I succeed, and I can keep it off, I'll be so much happier with myself. Even though my body image issues are much, much better than than they used to be, there's still a part of me that's the fat kid, and I'd like to leave her behind with my twenties.

Wish me calorie deficits.

Labels:

3 Antiphon:

12:09 PM, February 08, 2008, Blogger Chelsea

Josh and I are both trying to eat healthier and less at each meal. We are not letting ourselves have seconds for the most part. My goal to workout more has not quite happened, but at least I have been going to tkd except for this week. Snow and teaching kids to knit is getting in the way.

Let me know how the meals are!

 
2:41 PM, February 08, 2008, Blogger Dogeared

Good luck with it! I think you have a lot of determination, and so I know you'll do it. Yup.

 
1:25 PM, February 24, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Dude, I feel your pain. (And I'm nowhere near that last ten pounds.) Wishing you loads of luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home