Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I don't know when I'll be home long enough to make a vacation post. I'm looking at my calendar, and I'm booked until Sunday!

I did get home in time yesterday to take a nap an run a couple errands before class. I still slept through my alarm this morning - I woke up at 8:53 with an "oh shit". I checked the alarm and it was set for the correct time, a.m., and the radio worked, so I must have been so out that I slept through it. I did wake up with the garbage truck at a quarter after six, but radio obviously wasn't enough.

I went to the City Council meeting this evening, and it looks like the development at the end of the street is going to go through. Our arguments against it were pretty much just opinion - the only argument that actually convinced someone was how large some of the duplexes were going to be compared to the rest of the neighborhood. But we needed two to vote against it, and we only got one. So no more tailgating central. :(

I got a chance to ride through some of the areas where floodwaters had receded. There's silt all over, and the watermarks on the buildings are just mind-boggling. There were disaster recovery companies all over the place, helping clean out businesses, volunteers and employees carrying out water-damaged items. And the smell. When you see flood coverage on TV, you just can't get the full effect because the smell is just awful. My heart is just breaking for the people who have lost so much, and I want to do something besides my monetary contribution to recovery efforts, but I don't know what. I'll have to look into it further.

In other news, it seems all a guy needs to do to get a fabulous job offer in another state is for me to develop an interest in him. I met this guy last month that had just joined my Chamber group, and I was thinking "hey there's some chemistry, he's single and seems like fun, maybe when I get back from vacation I'll look into it" but wait! I get back from vacation, and he's gotten a job offer from a sports marketing company in Texas and is moving Thursday. I'm starting to think I should hire myself out as a headhunter: "Looking for a new and exciting position far away? Look no further! Go out on a date with me and your dream job will find you! 100% success rate!" Sheesh.

5 Antiphon:

8:10 AM, June 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Since chances of me coming to Iowa to pitch in physically are pretty much nil, what organization do you recommend making monetary contributions to? When Mike was still in the Coast Guard, they flew a lot of search and rescue for flood disaster relief and the thing all those guys mentioned was the same as you...the smell. Of course, along with how heart wrenching that kind of devastation can be.

Also, psssst. This is supposed to be summer vacation. You need to have some relaxing "me time".

Finally, we need to start a support group, I'm an anathema to good television and you're "out of state job landing" gold. It's scary being such a "force" in the universe. :-)

Hug. Cindy

 
9:13 AM, June 25, 2008, Blogger Amanda

I've added a link to my sidebar for a one-stop shop for links to information, donation and volunteer opportunities. I would primarily recommend the Red Cross or the United Way - both have been depleted in emergency funds. You can designate your donation for a specific branch - our area United Ways are UW of Johnson County (Iowa City) and UW of East Central Iowa (Cedar Rapids). Red Cross is the Grant Wood Area Chapter.

Also, give blood. Thanks for asking. And for the cyber-hugs. :)

 
2:26 PM, June 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Thanks for the links. Blood and money headed Iowa's way.

 
10:45 AM, June 28, 2008, Blogger Dogeared

Can I go on a date with you? I'd like a new job. Mine has good bits yes, but not actually work-related (a fortnightly camera club, helping do a charity cook book, etc.) - the work itself isn't my thing.

I'll buy the meal!

But I'm sorry to hear the guy's moving away, and I hope the recovery post-flood goes well - I heard about the people in Hull in northern England, who had huge flooding last year - and some of them are STILL living in trailers. I can only imagine what it must be like to see first hand. You mentioned doing Habitat For Humanity once before - what about lending your mad DIY skillz to cleaning up and repairs? I bet you'd rock at that.

 
1:06 PM, June 29, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

I like Helen's suggestion. I hope you get to do something which makes you and whatever you affect feel better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home