Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I want to go take pictures of the flood, but 1) the police have asked people to stay away and 2) I don't have the time. So I'm posting some pictures from the Press Citizen. (Link is to article - galleries to the right. The June 9th galleries are the best for flood pictures.)

That's my former dorm in the background.


This is the view of Dubuque St. towards the interstate.


Josh (in red vest) volunteered to sandbag, and got his picture in the paper!


Obviously, Dubuque street is closed. It's one of the four major arteries crossing the interstate, and the main route into Iowa City, so there's pretty bad traffic on all the rest. People don't cross the interstate if they don't have to. City Park is pretty much closed, because Park Road is closed. Which means the Shakespeare Festival has relocated.

The river is close to going over the spillway upstream. It's still about 6 feet below where it was in '93, but that was the only time it went over, if I remember correctly. The rain keeps coming, though they were predicting rain all week and now not as much. I cleaned out my gutters Saturday, and that's really been helping with the water around my house. Suprise, suprise, right? I didn't realize how much dirt was in those things. I have gutter guards, but they don't keep out dirt, obviously. It took me four hours to scoop out the muck and I was filthy afterwards. I feel better about leaving it now, though.

There wasn't much coverage of the Coralville area. I'm curious as to how the brand new Marriott is faring. The river was awfully close to the hotel at normal river stage.

1 Antiphon:

6:45 AM, June 24, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Blimey. I hope it doesn't cause too much damage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home