Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

As part of my post-friends-moving-away resolution to widen my social circle, I'm kinda trying to get back into doing social activities at church. My involvement was pretty much service and bookkeeping for a while there, which was kinda dumb, because why do only the "boring" stuff and none of the "fun" stuff?

Today's activity was Ba-Ba II: Return of the Goat. Pastor always hosts a barbecue sometime during the summer. Last year, it became something a little more than a barbecue. One of our members is a visiting scholar from Nigeria, and he kinda co-opted the barbecue into a goat roast, as I guess goat is popular in Nigeria. This was the second year for goat, thus the title. Much time was also spent co-opting sequel titles to use for next year, the most popular of which was Ba-Ba III: Die Goat Die.

Goat meat is rather tough, I'll say that for it. It has a distinctive taste, but I think it would be much better slow-cooked in juices. The rest of the meal was potluck. I finally got to try this recipe for Pearl Couscous with Roasted Tomatoes, Chickpeas, and Feta that I've been dying to make for forever. It was excellent, if I do say so myself. The only substitute I made was using dried chickpeas instead of canned. There's a lot more time involved preparing them, as you have to soak them for 12 hours, then boil for two (at least that's what I did with them), but I think they have much better flavor that way.

It was like no Lutheran potluck I've ever been to. There were more salads than anything, only a couple people brought dessert, and there was no jello.

5 Antiphon:

9:02 PM, August 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

A church potluck without Jello? That's... not right.

 
10:23 PM, August 10, 2008, Blogger Ems

No JELLO!?! Isnt that a sin?

 
2:37 AM, August 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Based on all the church potlucks/covered dish dinners I've ever attended, I think goat and NO jello salad is "alternate universe" church potluck.

BTW, the couscous sounds yummy. Care to share the recipe?

 
7:00 AM, August 11, 2008, Blogger Amanda

I did, Cindy. It's at the bottom of the page I linked. :)

 
5:16 AM, August 16, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Sounds like your couscous went a long way to redeeming the potluck. [nod]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home