Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Warning: TMI

Today’s topic is menstruation and feminine hygiene products. If you weren’t warned by the blatant “Warning” notice above, then hopefully that will do it for you. If you aren’t fazed or just can’t help yourself, read on:

Sometime during high school, maybe when I was a sophomore, I took the leap from pads to tampons, and it was the best thing since sliced bread. Sliced bread in the clichéd sense, not sliced bread as a feminine hygiene product, although I’ve been told bread makes an effective moisture barrier when soldering plumbing. It was just so damned inconvenient to be so wet a third of the month (short cycles and long periods – where did this three days a month myth come from? I feel cheated), especially at night when I had to wear that pad that was like two feet long and was more like a diaper than a pad. Tampons were fantastic. All the blood stayed in until I was ready to take it out. Sure there were leaks sometimes, but wearing a panty liner was nothing compared to pads. Plus, less mess. Ah, those blissful, absorbent-free years between potty-training and puberty. How I failed to appreciate you!

Pads to tampons was a huge stride in minimizing the inconvenience of “being a woman”. And now, I believe I have taken the next step in feminine hygiene products. This was my first month with the Diva Cup, and so far, it’s the best thing since tampons. (I’m thinking “tampons” is going to replace “sliced bread” in my cliché inventory. Nothing like making people uncomfortable in everyday conversation!) I was especially pleased with the longevity of each use: I could leave it alone the recommended limit of 12 hours for all but my most heavy flow. It took some getting used to to be able to create the seal and if you don’t create the seal, you get some leakage. There was also some getting used to getting it out. One, I had to root around in there to get a good hold on the end in order to be able to turn it to break the vacuum, and two, if the thing was really full, there was a bit of mess when the seal broke. It may just take a little practice: I dropped the thing in the toilet the first time, and by the last time I was way defter. I think once I figure out how much time it takes to fill up half an ounce during each of the flow stages of my period, it’ll be easy. The thing holds a full ounce, but I wouldn’t want to let it get that full before emptying to help avoid spilling during removal. And actually writing all this down, it almost seems like I need the Army Corp of Engineers to help regulate the dam outflow to prevent flooding downstream. [rolleyes]

Even with the learning curve, there was way less leakage/residual mess with the Diva Cup compared to tampons. Add that to only having to change it a couple times a day as opposed to every few hours, and I thought about my period less than I ever have in my entire life, aside from my first overnight with it, when my subconscious was so worried about leakage that I was dreaming about puddles of blood (unfounded). No more making sure I have enough plugs with me for the day, less worry about leakage, AND! less garbage, so I’m greener too! And it’s cost effective. I think they recommend replacing the cup once a year, and I bought it online at Organic Pharmacy for about $30 including shipping and cleaning supplies, and I know I spend at least that much in plugs per year.

I think that if you’re comfortable with tampons and appreciate the improvement in control they give over pads, then you will probably like the Diva Cup. It’s obviously not for everyone: if you’re someone who panics when you lose the string on the tampon, then you probably won’t like it, because the mechanics of the Cup is very similar to a tampon without a string. That’s it for my product recommendation. I had never heard of anything like this until someone mentioned it on Ravelry’s martial arts forum. I’m glad I tried it – as I was counting ahead, I noticed I’ll be ragging during my trip to California, and this will make that a lot less inconvenient.

12 Antiphon:

7:32 PM, August 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

I've been leaning toward trying the Diva Cup for, oh, a thousand years or so (give or take 998 years). I just can't quite convince myself that it'll be OK, since I can no longer use tampons at all and have never been able to (TMI ALERT) reach my own cervix. I've been assured by multiple people that it doesn't go in that far, but I am still nervous.

 
7:33 PM, August 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

(P.S. I use cloth pads now, which is a ridiculously enormous improvement over everything disposable I've ever used.)

 
8:43 PM, August 26, 2008, Blogger Amanda

Your multiple people are right. So far, the farthest I've ever had to reach up is about an inch, but getting a good enough pinch on it to be able to pull it out is my biggest problem. Slickery little bugger.

 
8:53 PM, August 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Yay! I've been singing the praises of the Diva Cup* since my daddy gave me my first one almost ten years ago. (Incidentally, I did accidentally flush that one down the toilet. Oops!) And you're right about the sliced bread thing. I maintain that if I'm stranded on a deserted island with only one item of convenience, I'm taking my cup.

I've found that the stem has to be MUCH shorter than the cup's maker suggests, but if you're not squicky about inserting your fingers far enough to get a good pinch on the base (about 1/2 an inch), that's okay. Also, I've been using the same cup for almost five years with no problems. At the end of my period I boil it with a squirt of Dr. Bronner's, and it's in fine shape.

I had extremely heavy periods until my early twenties, at which point my flow tapered off. But about three years ago it came back with a vengeance, and I found that my cup was overflowing (Heh.) on my heaviest day in a little under two hours. (I estimate I was probably losing about six ounces with each period, which is ridiculous.) So I took Annika's advice and bought some cloth pads to use for extra protection. They are far more absorbent and less icky than disposable pads, so that's something to consider if you find yourself needing a little back up at some point.

*I actually use the Keeper, which is almost identical to the Diva Cup. I just prefer the Keeper and find that it seals into place better for me.

 
9:15 PM, August 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

By the way, I should mention that the Keeper is made of silicone as well, but their website says it's okay to use vinegar, which is what I often use to rinse it. They also don't recommend boiling it, but rather rinsing it for about three minutes. Still, I've been boiling it with either vinegar or Dr. Bronner's forever and have not had any problems or seen any degradation in the quality of the silicone.

 
11:54 PM, August 26, 2008, Blogger Ems

First off, your tangent on sliced bread was hilarious. Second, I opted for an IUD. After the first month of your body getting used to the foregn object, no more periods. For 5 years. I dont remember the last time I had to use a tampon...yes I do, it was before the IUD, so 5 years now. (Obviously, I had it removed in order to concieve Hayden) So I have had two in those five years. And I dont have to worry about it getting flushed down the toilet. Oh, and once I was old enough to be regulated, I was a 3 day person, but it was ridiculously heavy and cramps paralyzed me. So I sing the praises of the IUD (and you can get one that is hormone free, mine is Mirena and has hormones in it for extra birth control)

 
6:48 AM, August 27, 2008, Blogger Angela

I became a Diva Cup convert around about May. I still struggle a little occasionally with getting it to infold properly, but that has more to do with my impatience, and less to do with the product. I also give mine a quick boil in vinegar, and it seems fine so far. I paid $35 Canadian for mine, and the packaging said it would be good for up to 10 years.

 
11:07 AM, August 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow, this almost makes me sorry I'm going through menopause. Having a period only on occasion now, still makes tampons practical for me I suppose. However, it sounds like I could have used a Diva Cup back in my Noah days during the floods.

 
10:38 PM, August 29, 2008, Blogger Ems

Alaska's government WAScorrupt, till Sarah Palin came along and cleaned it out. She has done some good work up here. Dont let the Boy's Club and Big Oil Friends cloud her rep. No one would have known about the corruption if she hadnt brought it to light, so dont apologize to me, just make it known that Sarah Palin cleaned it up is is the reason those Men are standing trial and going to prison. I am a Palinite all the way, and Alaska has its Palin-haters, but she is turning Alaska back around, and while I dont know if her being on the VP ticket is enough to make me vote for McCain, but I know that IF they get elected, she'll do a wonderful job.

 
11:23 AM, August 30, 2008, Blogger jenn

Love the sliced bread turning into tampons idea.

And my sister swears by her Keeper. So I'm glad to hear another one who lurves it.


WOOHOO!

 
10:57 AM, August 31, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Fascinating. I've never heard of this thing. I'm trying to imagine the logistics of getting it in and out with minimal mess, but if it's ecologically sound and means you don't have to change it so often, I'm interested. I'll definitely look out for it. (Hell, I might just grab one when I come to LA in October.)

 
3:56 PM, September 09, 2008, Blogger Dogeared

This made me feel totally in the dark - you insert a domed cup inside you to catch the blood, then remove it and tip it out? As much as I hate how sometimes I leak with pads (mainly in the first few days when it's really heavy, and usually after I've been sitting down for a while and then stand up - it's like you undo the vacuum that was created when sitting, and the literal floodgates open), tampons I just can't do - way too icky for my liking! I did try briefly, but they're not for me.

Sounds like the cup is even worse in terms of that! It's brilliant you've found it works for you though :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home