Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I don't think anything could be more depressing than attending the funeral of a 20-year-old. When someone is old, they had a long life or if they were sick, at least they're not suffering anymore. But my cousin's son was only 20 when he was killed Saturday in a motorcycle accident.

I don't think I've ever seen so many people at a funeral. Nic was obviously so loved and admired, it seemed like everyone who ever knew him was there. The visitation was five hours long - I don't know how his parents got through it. And poor Josh, he was a wreck by the time the memorial service ended.

I felt a little like an imposter there; while Nic was family, I didn't know him hardly at all. The pain in the church was palpable, though. I couldn't help but share it.

8 Antiphon:

10:22 PM, September 03, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

*hugs*

 
11:29 PM, September 03, 2008, Blogger Ems

...Not everyone...

 
5:29 AM, September 04, 2008, Blogger Laurie

A funeral for a young person is the worst thing ever. *hugs*

 
4:46 PM, September 04, 2008, Blogger allison

It hurts to see others hurting. *hugs*

 
5:54 PM, September 04, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Somehow I missed this post earlier. Losing the young is the worst of all. You and your family are in my prayers.

 
10:31 PM, September 04, 2008, Blogger Mindi Scott

*hugs*

 
1:20 AM, September 06, 2008, Blogger Nicole

I cried for Josh and my friends.

I think I've talked to Nic maybe three times, but Josh is in my class and all of his friends are my friends and watching my big, tough football guys just lose it is horrible to watch.

 
7:18 AM, September 06, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Gahh. [hug]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home