Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Culmination

A long time ago (2002), in a galaxy far, far away (my living room), I was vegging in front of the TV after work, channel surfing. I stopped on a scene where a child in a cage was being lifted into the air, and in the next scene the child was gone. I was a little confused as to what happened to the kid, and the next episode of the show was on next, so I decided to keep watching. That decision changed my life. That sounds dramatic, but it's true.

The show was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and was in reruns on FX, and I devoured the episodes. I wanted to know more, so looked online for resources and ended up joining the Watcher's Diary (WD), the forums at Buffy Guide. It wasn't the talk about the show that kept me there long after the show went off the air. It was the people. They made me laugh, they challenged my thinking, they became my friends. I don't think I can put into words what they mean to me, but they know, because they feel the same way. Suffice it to say I wouldn't be the same person I am today without them.

So, six years to the month from when I registered with the WD, I'm finally going to meet in real life some of the people I have only known online. If I look over at my sidebar, fifteen of those people I know from the WD. Someday I hope to meet all of them. For now, I'm just really, really excited to be meeting some of them. I'm so giddy, I can hardly believe it's only a week away.

6 Antiphon:

12:52 AM, October 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

I am SO EXCITED!

 
9:00 AM, October 18, 2008, Blogger allison

I am SO JEALOUS!!!


You're going to have such a great time!

 
10:28 PM, October 18, 2008, Blogger Mindi Scott

Awww! Those FX reruns changed my life, too. Sometimes I think of how many things would be different for me right now if I'd never tuned in. SO MANY.

(By the way, for me, the interest started with an earnest, but dorky dark-haired guy and a bitchy dark-haired girl sneaking around and kissing while cheesy music swelled. I was like, "What is going on THERE?" Hee!)

I'm very disappointed that I can't meet you in L.A. this trip. But someday I will! Someday. [heart]

 
1:14 PM, October 19, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Word. When it comes to life-changing shows, this was the big one. And meeting WDers just raises the awesomeness to new levels.

SEE YOU SOON!

 
8:28 AM, October 20, 2008, Blogger Angela

Yay!

 
4:45 PM, October 22, 2008, Blogger Nicole

Wow, thats crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home