Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, October 27, 2008

My First WD Party

There's something jet set about flying to California for the weekend. I really, really wish I could have stayed longer, but I guess it will just have to serve as whetting for the next one. I'm sure I will leave much out, but hopefully between the lot of us, those who are interested will get the whole story. Or at least the part of the story that's not staying in LA. There will also be no pictures with this post, because I have yet to find my camera, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it is still at Cassy's.

My welcoming party consisted of the Other Amanda and Cassy. I saw Amanda first, so I think that was completely appropriate that my first WDer in person was the one with whom I share a name. All I really remember of the first evening was pizza and chatting and getting used to British accents. Oh, and a sing-a-long to Doctor Horrible.

Saturday morning started off with a trip to IHOP. I promptly demonstrated my maturity by building a tower of cream packets while we waited for our food. We walked down to the beach on the way back. My jeans got wet all the way up to my knees, so they went into the washer as soon as we got back. The water was cold, but the sand and sun were fantastic. Cassy took the Brit contingent to Trader Joe's and Bath and Body Works, and I went along soley for the purpose of listening to British accents exclaim over American goods.

There was some knitting while we waited for other contingents to arrive, and once people got there, all I remember is playing fetch with Sam (he threw and I fetched, he's much too smart to be the other way around) and the Ring of Fire. Now, Ring of Fire is a lot like Three Man, and I still haven't lived down the time I played that with Josh and Brian. This time was only marginally better, but only because I do remember most of the night, which included both a Doctor Horrible and an OMWF sing-a-long. I'm sure I was loud and obnoxious, and I think I can go another five years without drinking that much again. I am no longer young enough for that kind of thing.

Sunday I was hungover and had to go home. Double blow! Plus, my plane sat on the tarmac for two hours before even taking off, so it was 11:30 before I even got out of Chicago. Needless to say, I was very, very tired this morning.

Reading this all back, it sounds very boring, but it was anything but. It's even more fun reading things people have written, because I now have their voices and cadences in my head. Like, I never would have guessed the other Amanda talked so fast. ;) My only regret is that I didn't start going to parties a long time ago. Needless to say, I'm going from now on. There were even thoughts flittering about on how I might go about hosting one.

Now, to find that camera...

9 Antiphon:

10:57 PM, October 27, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

On behalf of the British contingent, I can confirm that you were not loud and obnoxious, just amusing and adorable.

And yes, I do talk fast, don't I? I have been compared to a machine-gun... ;)

 
11:15 PM, October 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

A party in Michigan right after the first of the year to liven up the dead of winter is a distinct possibility. Besides snow banks are great for keeping beer cold and for sledding on. It's also great because we're all warm and cozy together.

I want to talk to machine-gun C.A. (pout) I've spoken with Helen before, and we both spent quite a bit of time saying I beg your pardon.

In fact, a round of phone calls might be in order since I have flat rate phone service. Hmmmmmm.

Glad you had fun sweetie. I hope the next time, it includes me.

 
12:03 AM, October 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

You most certainly were NOT obnoxious!

And I really regret not talking to you more. I think we exchanged maybe four sentences total! I wanted to talk to you about motorcycles and cross fit and those hilarious Amish crossing signs I see in Iowa. But I'm pretty sure I live closer to you than any other WDer. (Um, from my perspective, not yours.) Maybe I'll drive the extra few hours to see you the next time I go to Kansas City.

Also, I had one very important thing to tell you that I kept putting off, so it will have to go in a PM. Which, with any luck, I will get to by the end of the week.

 
12:21 AM, October 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

I really hope you'll come back and stay longer so we can get some time together. I loved meeting you!

 
12:59 AM, October 28, 2008, Blogger Laurie

Oh, you were neither loud nor obnoxious! It was so lovely to meet you!! I am home now, as well, and am sad. It was my first WD Party as well, and it was AWESOME!

 
6:15 PM, October 28, 2008, Blogger Amanda

Aww, you guys are sweet. I was loud and obnoxious. :)

Bradi, you have a standing invitation to my guest bed.

 
5:26 PM, October 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

Dude. You were totally adorable! I envied your playing fetch with Sam; my knees are not up to that kind of abuse, dammit.

p.s. COME TO ENGLAND :-D xxx

 
2:03 AM, October 31, 2008, Blogger CassyLee

I have to agree with everyone else - in no way were you obnoxious - you were adorable & you're welcome to any WD party of mine (I think I really lucked out with this party, because I can honestly say that to everyone who attended - all y'all were great! :-)

 
11:42 AM, October 31, 2008, Blogger Soupytwist

Well, Tom and I really enjoyed hanging out with you! Hope we get to do it again someday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home