Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Battered and Bruised but Worth it

I tested for my first degree black belt on Friday. While I don't officially find out the results until Wednesday, and I won't get my belt for weeks yet, we're not allowed to test if we aren't cabable of passing, so the outcome is not in doubt.



It went pretty well, and mostly as expected. Line drills were relatively easy, and I only had to do three of the ten forms. (We're going to start learning the taeguek forms in the club now. I'm so excited! We only do the palgwe forms now, and I hear the taeguk forms are more showy.) Forms are my favorite, because I'm good at things I can memorize.



Sparring, not so much. I've never been *great* at sparring...I've improved over the years, but since it relies so much on reacting and instinct instead of memorization, it's more difficult for me. I did pretty good on the first bout, since I was pretty fresh. Second bout, not so much since I got kicked in the head and was so woozy Master Ashton had to yell at me to snap me out of it. In my defense, I was fighting a National Champion, so I don't feel too bad.

Board breaks were a little disappointing. I tried to do a speed break with a knife hand, and while I had no trouble with the practice board, I bruised up my hand and forearm, and had to do a regular break instead. Part may have been the way Cameron was holding the board - since speed breaks rely on speed instead of power, it's much more important that the board is held correctly, and Christie mentioned he was holding it differently than she had held it when I practiced. It took me two tries on the flying side kick when it only should have taken me one, and I think it was because I was flustered from the speed break and wasn't paying as much attention to my aim. So that was a little disappointing.



I'm glad I waited the extra time, though. I feel much better about this testing than I would have last year when I was still trying to figure out my heat issues. I feel more like I have earned it, and that's an accomplishment.

Labels: ,

4 Antiphon:

9:59 AM, December 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous

You look great in the photos. Fingers crossed!

 
4:41 PM, December 15, 2008, Blogger Chelsea

I am jealous you get to learn the taegeuk forms. I always wanted to because pal gwe forms are soooooo boring compared to what I learned at my old club. Sounds like testing went really well!

 
11:15 AM, December 21, 2008, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Ahhh, so that's where that profile pic came from. Well done!

 
6:17 AM, January 04, 2009, Blogger Dogeared

I think I read in your letter or a more recent post, that you got it? It's an impressive achievement! (sorry I've gotten behind reading Blogs, I'm catching up now)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home