Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Cheeseburger Pasta

I'm behind on my recipies! Mom got me a subscription to Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine for my birthday. The first one came last month, and I decided to try out the inaugrual recipe on Calvin and Malea. What kid doesn't like cheeseburgers? Well, it didn't go over too well, but I think it was because of the incongruity between taste and texture. It did taste exactly like a cheeseburger.



1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
3/4 lb. lean ground beef
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. pickle relish
2 Tbsp. mustard
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. steak seasoning
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
3/4 c. shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. In large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Drain pasta; add to meat mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, relish, mmustard, ketchup, steak seasoning and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.

Serves 4: 390 calories

It was very "hamburger helper" in terms of ease. I did use ground beef because I didn't think the kids would go for the turkey, but I may as well have used ground turkey since I ended up eating the majority of it. I liked it.

Labels:

1 Antiphon:

8:58 PM, August 29, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous

I can't say the pickle relish excites me, but next time you make pasta, save a little of the pasta water, and add it to the sauce. After you drain the pasta, add the water to the sauce, bring to slight boil, and then add the pasta to the sauce (not the other way around) and you'll get more of the meaty flavor into the pasta.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home