Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Conditioned Hypereating Is Just A Fancy Word For Bingeing

July was a bad month for me, eating-wise. I know exactly how bad, thanks to my food journal. There were some 3,000 and 4,000 calorie days in there, and when I look at those totals, I just feel sick. But also during July, I read a book that helps me understand that behavior, and now I just need to figure out what to do about it.

I picked up The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite, by David Kessler from the library after hearing interviews with the author on NPR, hoping to gain insight into my relationship with food. The book confirmed to me what I had already known, what I have discovered in the eighteen months since I took on the effort to improve my eating habits, and gave me some tools with which to fight that battle against what the author calls "conditioned hypereating."

Conditioned hypereating, as defined by the author, is characterized by loss of control over hyperpalatable foods, an inability to feel satisfied by food, and obsessive thinking about food. This describes my problem exactly. I feel like I lose control over certain foods, and I eat beyond the point where food loses its rewarding properties, and still do not feel satisfied. Those foods are the ones loaded with salt, sugar, and fat, which is why they don't satisfy.

The book describes the process that eating has become for so many of us: we respond to environmental cues, which differ for each of us, we feel the urge to eat, and we feel the reward of eating, and this becomes a habit, so that we eat for the reward instead of eating for hunger.

The key is to become aware of this cycle, so that we can make a consious decision to eat, instead of relying on habit to tell us when and what to eat. So from my food journal, when I look at those high-calorie days, I know that my binging comes when I eat with family, when I go out to restaurants, and when co-workers bring treats to the office. My goal now is to figure out how to deal with these situations so that I don't come out at the end feeling horrible about myself.

One of the biggest things I'm taking away from this book is the reason why it is easier for me not to eat any of my trigger foods at all than to eat just a little bit. By eating just one, I have lost the struggle for self-restraint. The point of intervention is the decision, that moment of control when I say yes or no. By delegating my decision to eat to my subconscious, which is conditioned to overeat, I set myself up for failure.

The book suggests forming a set of rules for yourself to give yourself a decision framework. This takes away the decision to eat from your subconscious and engages your higher level brain function, where it is easier to take control. This is why I had such success with Seattle Sutton: if it wasn't on the meal plan, I didn't eat it. I have to come up with a more complicated set of rules to help me deal with the situations that are challenging for me.

I'm thinking that if I put the rule into place that I'm only allowed to have one serving of a trigger food, that might help (I already have a rule that I'm only allowed to buy trigger foods in single serving portions, which isn't usually an option, so that rule gets broken too often).

I'm also toying with incorporating a "high calorie day" into my food plan to allow for going out to eat and eating at my parents'. Those two activities don't usually add more than 500-700 calories to my intake, but I still feel like I failed because I'm not hitting my 1500-1600 goal range that day. So if I aim for the 1500 end on a normal day, and do 500-700 over on my high calorie day, I'm still at an average for the week in that goal range.

If anyone else has problems with bingeing and has found ways to deal that work for them, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Labels:

10 Antiphon:

7:03 PM, August 04, 2009, Blogger Soupytwist

I have one day a week where I can eat whatever I want. I don't count calories on that day, but I don't sit on my ass and eat French fries and mayonnaise for 12 hours straight, either. It really helps me feel "normal."

If I eat more than 1200 calories a day, I gain weight. Even if I work out every day. To lose weight, I have to keep it around 1000 calories and really watch out for simple carbs.

I also only meat once a day and only one kind of meat at a time. I try to do "meat free Mondays."

I don't crave sweets, but if I eat one cookie, I end up eating a dozen, so I just don't eat sweets unless I am splitting a dessert when I go out.

I chew an obscene amount of gum and drink a lot of ginger peach decaf or peppermint tea. I find those teas will curb my appetite the best.

Does it work? These are recent discoveries and recently deployed strategies. We'll see.

 
8:54 AM, August 05, 2009, Blogger Amanda

Ouch. That's a really low calorie intake. Have you tried building muscle? I've found I can eat more and still lose weight since I've put on muscle.

I think if I modify my trigger food rule to "only in the presence of other people" it might work better. I have much better self-control when I perceive other people judging me for taking more than one, even though it's all in my head.

 
12:20 PM, August 05, 2009, Blogger Soupytwist

I don't want to make it sound like food is not a problem for me - it is. I suppose if I were more social, I would curb my eating. I'm just not around other people that much and when I am, it's usually special enough that everyone is indulging. so I don't see what I'm doing as undesirable.

I also meant to mention that I have started eating ~1/2 cup of raw almonds for my breakfast instead of eggs and it's keeping me much more satisfied until lunch (dinner leftovers, salad or soup).

 
12:55 PM, August 05, 2009, Blogger Amanda

I believe you about having trouble with food. I meant that when I look at the times I binge on trigger food, I have classic "hiding" behaviors. Like when co-workers bring food, I take one, and then wait until other people aren't around before taking another. And another. This is the behavior I really want to stop, because it's the behavior that makes me feel bad about myself, and my eating habits are perfectly acceptable otherwise.

 
6:01 PM, August 05, 2009, Blogger Soupytwist

Ooh, I hadn't even thought of "hiding" eating as a possible problem! I think that fact that you've identified that is awesome! I bet your strategy to minimize its impact will help.

I hope I'm being encouraging. This stuff is so personal and weird.

 
6:32 AM, August 06, 2009, Blogger Unknown

I'm currently doing a very low calorie diet (VLCD), where the group provides me with my foodpacks for the week, and I can't eat anything other than that.

I initially started doing it because I'd gotten to the point with my weight where I felt like I was defeated from the start when I started a diet. This way, I would lose a lot of weight in a short space of time (hopefully), get down to a reasonable weight, and then move onto a standard diet where I would feel that my goal weight was achievable, rather than some pipe dream that was never going to happen. But the best thing about it are the classes I go to every week that incorporate CBT and Transitional Analysis therapy. I always knew what my weak spots were when it came to food (comfort/stress eating, hiding my eating habits, etc), but I felt powerless to do anything about it. The classes have given me tools to help me deal with these issues when they come up, so that hopefully in the future, my eating habits won't be a slave to my emotions.

It's all very well in theory, but I haven't really had a chance to put the tools to the test yet since I'm still on the diet. I've used them to an extent, when I've been tempted to come off it and eat "normal" food, but the challenge will be when I'm eating normally all the time and I want to over-indulge.

 
8:32 AM, August 06, 2009, Blogger Amanda

Ooh, Eileen, let me know when you get to that part with the tools. I'm at the part where I'm trying to do a normal diet, but I'm still losing body fat (but no weight), so I'm trying not to sabatoge myself.

I also know that I do some comfort/stress eating, but haven't addressed that yet. I definitely do boredom eating, which I have not deliberately tried to replace with diet soda. If I do it deliberately, it may work better. So I'm glad you pointed that out, as it's also something I need to come up with a rule to deal with.

 
10:00 PM, August 06, 2009, Blogger Julie, Brian, Addy & Evan

Farrell's allows you one completely free day - no exercise, eat/drink whatever you want. Go crazy, get it out of your system. I'm finding having this once a week helps A TON!!! I was skeptical but it works for me. Where I fall off the wagon is when we are running for days on end from one activity to the next amd don't have time to cook, get groceries, meal plan, etc. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing great! Its hard to change 30 years worth of habits quickly :)

 
1:57 PM, August 09, 2009, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Dude, I know EXACTLY what you mean. The frustrating thing is that I know all the triggers, but still eat too much when they happen. All I can do is be as good as possible during the non-trigger times, but it's hardly an idea situation.

 
1:57 PM, August 09, 2009, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Ideal, even.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home