Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Stuffed Zucchini Parmesan

I'm going to start posting recipes that I find and like. If I had thought of this before I ate supper tonight, you would be getting a nice picture of the finished product instead of my cold leftovers, but hey, nobody's first try is ever perfect.

The first one is Stuffed Zucchini Parmesan. I got a zucchini in my produce gift bag from Mom last week, so I was looking for recipes to use it in.



My modifications were as follows:

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (though I think next time I'll use more)
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oil in a heavy ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic 4-5 minutes, or until golden. Stir in tomatoes. Simmer 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Arrange zucchini slices on a piece of wax paper. Combine basil, oregano and half the Parmesan. Sprinkle over zucchini slices and press into zucchini. Transfer half the tomato sauce to a bowl. Place zucchini slices over remaining tomato sauce in skillet, overlapping if necessary to fit in all the pieces. Spoon reserved tomato sauce over zucchini. Combine remaining Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle over tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes until zucchini is just tender. Turn on broiler. Uncover skillet and place under broiler 1-2 minutes, or until cheese browns.

It supposedly makes 4 servings (as I did it, 135 calories per serving), but I ate half with a side salad so I was stuffed. This one is definitely going into the rotation.

Labels:

5 Antiphon:

6:56 AM, August 08, 2009, Blogger Technomage

One of these days you should post your rotation. I'm interested in seeing it, and I'm sure there are other who would like to as well.

I overheard someone talking about Grilled Zucchini. He said 1 inch thick slices grilled with some olive oil, and oregano, and cheese take 20 minutes. I think you would add the cheese later.

 
1:54 PM, August 09, 2009, Blogger CosmicAvatar

That sounds utterly delish. Must try that sometime.

 
8:01 PM, August 09, 2009, Blogger Amanda

Ken - posting my rotation is the point of my new "series". :)

I got a bunch more zucchini, so I'll have to try grilling it!

 
12:16 PM, August 10, 2009, Blogger Ems

Would you grillit with the skins on? I would imagine so. This appeals to me... Of course I am starving and lunch is still 45 minutes away but I may try grilling them for my lunch today...

 
4:27 PM, August 12, 2009, Blogger Soupytwist

I keep seeing this photo and thinking that I would like to eat that.

On a loaf of bread.

I think I found one of my triggers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home