Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Our House is a Very Fine House

My home is very comfortable. I've lived here for almost 9 years now...crazy to think of it! In that time, I've made very few changes aside from replacing the windows and refinishing floors. And I've kinda gotten to the point where I feel like I'm still living in a college student's apartment: I've made an attempt at personalizing my home, but it's still very haphazard and not well put together.

And I think I'm to the point where I'm even interested in doing that. I've got some ideas of things I'd like to do, but not an actual plan. So I'm going to make one: figure out what my priorities are, what I can afford, what I can do myself, and what I'll need to hire someone to do.

My first step is the yard. First thing is to put in a swale in the back yard to help direct water away from the house and keep it out of my basement. I've accepted a bid for that, and I've also got a landscape designer coming out at the end of the month to help put a plan together for the yard. My family helped clear out the jungle several years ago, but I didn't put anything in it's place to make it more aesthetically pleasing, at least to my eye. I also really want a sitting area, so I can enjoy it. While they're putting the swale in, it will be more efficient to have them prepare the terrain for the rest of the long-term plan, so we're all working together to get that done.

As for the house itself, I've got less concrete plans. I'm thinking, though, that it might be easiest to start with the living room, especially since that's where I spend the most time, and I think it will be the cheapest. Some paint, an entertainment center to organize stuff, and getting rid of this Persian rug. When I took it, I was hoping to put it in my bedroom, but the living room is the only room where it fits, so here it is. I like my original rug better, but I need to find a home for this rug. It is real, but damaged, so if you know anyone who might want it...

Next on the list after the water mitigation and living room is the bathroom. I really want an exhaust fan, and to do something about the shower walls, which I'm sure are hiding water damage, so that will be much more expensive. A new sink, perhaps a dual-flush toilet...maybe my plans are more concrete there than I thought. :)

But my main goal is to make my house more to my actual tastes instead of what's been thrown together. I'm looking forward to living in an "adult" space.

2 Antiphon:

9:30 PM, May 08, 2010, Blogger Laurie

Ooh! I hope there will be pictures of the progress. :D

 
5:23 PM, May 20, 2010, Blogger Technomage

So nice to see you back :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home