Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fired

I never thought that word would ever be something that would be applied to me, but as of Friday morning, I am unemployed. I'm still in a bit of shock that I won't be going into work tomorrow morning, but overall, I am amazed at how well I am taking this.

Looking back, I can sort of see it coming. Ever since we broke off from CG, it's been a struggle to find the work that would allow me to perform at my experience level. I wasn't yet bringing in the business that would justify my salary, and I was just too expensive to keep. It was so much as dissatisfaction with my performance as a business decision.

I can also see now how dissatisfied I was, which is also helping me cope. I would ask to sit in on the higher-level consulting engagements so I could see that process, and was regularly being left out (not particularly on purpose, but the end result was the same). I asked for more review work, and I would get it for a while, and then they'd forget, or it was just easier to do it themselves.

So I'm seeing this as more of an opportunity to get out of a rut and look for something that's going to be more challenging and fulfilling for me. I'm not particularly worried at the moment, as I have plenty of savings to live on for a while (and they're giving me a rather generous severance package), and I have very marketable skills. A quick search for postings led me to two very good prospects, if that's the direction I decide to go. I could also go out on my own, maybe as a contracted financial director, for people or organizations that can't afford a full-time person, but need someone who can read financial statements and give advice.

Tomorrow I go to the gym, update my resume, file for unemployment, and start thinking about the next step in my life. I'm actually looking forward to it, and being laid off may be the best thing that ever happened to me.

6 Antiphon:

4:14 PM, June 13, 2010, Anonymous Kelly Elliott

your optimism is amazing, Amanda. I will miss you. hopefully I can knit with you some Friday night soon.

 
4:47 PM, June 13, 2010, Blogger Soupytwist

I hate that feeling of being stuck but not really having it bad enough to leave. Which is basically all any long term job w/o advancement is, when you think about it.

Good luck on your job search, I'm sure that you'll find something that excites you and challenges you!

tosed

 
5:23 PM, June 13, 2010, Anonymous Annika

How wonderful that this is happening when you can take advantage of it!

 
7:22 PM, June 13, 2010, Anonymous DropEdge

Boo for the job loss, but yay for your attitude and prospects. *hugs*

 
9:13 PM, June 13, 2010, Blogger Laurie

Sorry about your job, Amanda. :( But it's great that you're taking it as an opportunity. You are certainly not in a bad place. Good luck, I hope you find something better, that will make you happier. :D

 
3:09 PM, June 14, 2010, Blogger Jenn

Aw, sorry Amanda. I'm glad to hear you're taking it well - and yes, I think a number of us can relate to our jobs shifting into something... that doesn't work any longer. But change is hard. And making change happen on your own is crazy hard. I hope this is the new beginning you deserve!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home