Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

It's Terrible Getting Old

I've been having pain in the joint of my left big toe above the ball of my foot since the beginning of the year. I stopped wearing heels about that time because it was just too uncomfortable, and it's been getting worse ever since, especially when I exercise. Mountain climbers were out, and ever tried to do a one-legged plank? NOT easy. (Of course that's one of the ab exercises we do: plank while taking turns lifting up each limb in succession.)

I called for an appointment with Orthopaedics in February and got right in last Thursday. Not impressed with UIHC on that point, but I don't think I'm going to owe much on the whole thing so yay! insurance! Diagnostic was pretty straight-forward, as even I could see it on the x-ray: I have a bone spur in the joint.

Apparently this is some sort of arthritis where the bone has been rubbing together so the bone forms some extra callus made of bone to help cushion it from the rubbing together. This seems like a stupid evolutionary reaction, since it is obviously quite painful. If my body were smart, it would form something a little more cushion-y than BONE for a cushion. Re-form some cartilege or plastic or rubber or something.

Anyway, they gave me a carbon fiber shoe insert to take some pressure off the joint and boy has that helped. The swelling has gone down quite a bit in the week or so since I've been wearing it, and the pain of walking has lessened as well, although living so long with the pain has made me a bit wary of certain movements and I'm still doing strange things with my body to compensate that I don't think my chiropractor would approve of at all.

I also met with a physical therapist for some exercises to help loosen up my ligaments. She measured my degree of flexibility, and I'm not too far below normal, but any little bit helps in this case, I suppose. It's supposedly a cause of bone spurs, as well as ill-fitting shoes, and old age. The shoes may have been a factor as I know at least one pair of exercise shoes I've had in the past were half a size too small, but that can't have been all of it.

If those things don't work, then they'll talk about surgery, but I'm really not interested in surgery right now. Once a year for that crap is plenty.

1 Antiphon:

11:02 PM, April 26, 2012, Blogger Jenn

Good call on the misplaced bone-growing reaction. Really, bodies are kinda silly sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home