Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grace to Accept the Things I Cannot Change

Eight years ago April, my mom asked me to come along with her to a doctor's appointment for some test results. Dad couldn't go, and the doctor recommended she have someone with her. I knew that was bad, but when she gave us the news that a routine CBC had detected leukemia, the same leukemia my grandpa had just passed away from, I thought I knew how bad it could get. I didn't know.

Saturday I was two days late, so I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I was devastated. My tendancy to see the worst-case scenario surfaced, and I just poured out my grief: losing my baby, the possibility of losing my mom, the possiblity that I might never get to have kids, the possiblity that even if I do, they might never get to have the grandmother that Hayden has. My heart just HURTS.

Joe tried to comfort me, but he didn't understand. This was a revelation to me. Joe has road rage: he'll get (what I see as) irrationally upset about what other drivers do. If he has a bad commute home, he'll be in a funk for at least an hour after he gets home. This is incomprehensible to me: I just don't understand how he lets the behavior of other drivers affect him so much. I think this was a chance to let us be in the others' shoes. I let all these things I can't control affect me so terribly, and he can't see why I let myself get so upset over what might happen.

Not to say my grief is unwarranted, or that I don't need to work my way through it, but I understand a little better now. I need to find a better balance between honoring my grief and letting it overwhelm me.

Labels: , , ,

3 Antiphon:

3:51 PM, June 27, 2012, Anonymous Annika

It's hard to know what to say to someone who is hurting, but I want you to know that I'm thinking of you!

 
5:39 PM, June 27, 2012, Blogger Jenn

I'm sorry. I don't know why life is so hard for such good people.

 
6:54 PM, June 27, 2012, Blogger Soupytwist

Sometimes just letting ourselves feel an emotion can overwhelm - there's nothing wrong or weird about that. Grief and fear are especially difficult to process because loss is intensely personal and, even if others fear or experience the same loss, it's not really a shared emotion.

You are feeling your fears and grief which is good because it means you're processing it and, even better, you're aware of it which will make the healing process something in which you'll be active.

As always, you're in my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home