Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Run Away!

It's time to make a change. I love CrossFit dearly, and I enjoy my classes and the people in them, but I can't go on giving myself heat exhaustion every couple of weeks. I've come to the very difficult decision that I'm going to quit my gym and try to design my own workout program, better tailored to my limitations. The best bonus to this (aside from not throwing up all the time) is that Joe and I are going to do it together, which gets him back into a regular exercise routine as well.

I think we're pretty compatible with where our interests lie: we're both experienced lifters (although I'm going to be less help spotting him than he will be for me) and hate to run. He likes to bicycle and I'm open to that. We've got a lot of decisions to make, like how to fit it in to our days and what limitations we'll have in lifting in the low-ish ceiling-ed basement.

I think I want to get a few kettlebells, as I do want to still do swings and snatches and Turkish get-ups and such. Joe already has a weight set, although he is pretty envious of my brother-in-law's lifting cage. We might be able to get one of those, though, with the money I save in gym fees. I already have a treadmill from when I thought I could run. I would love to get a rowing machine and a hanging bag, but that might be down the road a ways, when we have a better idea of how much room we have. Or a different house.

This is a change I've had in the back of my mind for a while now, and I'm only just now fed up enough to act on it. I'm feeling pretty good about it, so I think it's the right one. Wish us luck!

Labels: , ,

2 Antiphon:

7:48 PM, July 27, 2012, Blogger Soupytwist

It's so nice that Joe is willing to workout with you - my husband has zero interest and I can barely motivate myself to exercise.

 
6:30 PM, August 01, 2012, Blogger Emily

I think it is a good idea to try something else. You just shouldn't be reduced to being that sick by working out! It should make you feel healthy and strong and invincable, not deathly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home