Inferior Imitator

ep·i·gone n. A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Quit Playing Games With My Heart

Joe and I finished up our three day weekend at the doctor's office for a follow up to discuss his blood pressure. From what I understand, Joe has had high blood pressure his entire life, and the range he has been in qualifes him for hypertension. Joe is dead set against taking medication, for reasons I'm not 100% positive of. He likens it to BMI as a measurement, that it is fine for the population as a whole, but doesn't take into account individual idiosyncracies.

The doctor is giving him four months to see what we can do to lower his blood pressure without drugs. We've been talking about an exercise plan for months now, and there's room for improvement in our diet. It's been one of my goals to get more servings of vegetables into my day, so I'm going to try this meal planning deal with that in mind. I'm hoping that he'll have that annoying quality in men that once he changes his diet and exercises outside of work, that he'll lose weight easily. I'm to the point if that if I gain any more inches (I haven't gained weight at all), my pants won't fit anymore, so I'm motivated, too.

What I don't like is that now I find myself worrying about him. I knew he had high blood pressure, but I didn't know how bad it was, and I'm concerned about his attitude. He stopped smoking, he is eating better (with the aforementioned room for improvement), he's pretty much cut out drinking pop, and he has lost weight since I met him. He hasn't seen change in his blood pressure from those changes, and I think maybe that he thinks that since it's genetic, it won't hurt him?

I'm contemplating my approach on this: it is in fact his decision, and I can't do everything for him. I do have the most influence over diet and exercise, and I'll do all I can there. I'm just hoping that this four months will help him get used to the idea of the need for medication. I just want "the rest of our lives" to be as long as possible.

Labels: , ,

1 Antiphon:

12:02 PM, March 02, 2013, Blogger CosmicAvatar

Hello! I've only just realized that you're posting again, sorry.

As for BP... I do understand. I've managed to avoid medication for mine thus far, but it's still lurking in the background. I hope the "rest of our lives" is nice and long for you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home